Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Visual Essay








The reasoning I chose "How To Place a Horse Racing Bet" was because ever since I was five I have been going to the race track. My Great Uncle Tom owned horses and I would spend the summer studying and learning the race industry from him. After spending many summer days at the race track and watching the races I got hooked on the betting side of the business. My Great Uncle Tom and his assistant Jim taught me everything about betting, odd, jockeys, owners, race types, and everything else about the horse racing industry. I soon was placing my own bets and analyzing each race. However, when trying to teach my friends about it I found it difficult to teach someone who knew nothing about the track. There was also no visual demonstration on betting. I decided for my visual essay I would create a diagram that describes the basic steps to placing the bets. My goal was to set it up in a way that one could either just look at the pictures alone and understand the concept. My other goal was that one could read and have a understanding also. The combination of visuals and words though would help a person understand by using both sides of their brain and taking it from primary knowledge converting it to secondary knowledge and storing it in long term memory. Meaning that they could do the steps over again if they were to go to the track at another time and not have to look at the cognitive concept again. Overall I am pleased about the way it turned out and I know my Great Uncle Tom would be excited about it also.